GRIFTON, PITT COUNTY - A 79-year-old Pitt County man is staying with a relative on Christmas, after losing his home to a fire the day before.
Nathaniel Wooten said he went to a store on Christmas Eve to buy a belt. While there, he was told by a fellow shopper that his home, located on the 500 block of Elmore Lane in Grifton, was on fire.
"My knees buckled," Wooten said. "I couldn't believe it because it was fine when I left."
Wooten said faulty wiring may be what caused his home to go up in flames Tuesday. Crews were called to the scene at about 5 p.m., but could not save the home from being destroyed.
"I lost everything- my television, my table, my cot, my $1,000 bed. But I thank God for my life and I thank God I am alive," said Wooten.
The Red Cross has provided Wooten with a seasonal check, clothes and food.
No injuries were reported in the fire, which investigators have ruled as accidental.
- 49ers QB sits during national anthem in protest
- Man arrested in fatal stabbing of 2 nuns in Mississippi
- Italy earthquake: A country in mourning begins burying the dead
- A state politician voicing concerns over the Whitewater Center reopening following amoeba death
- Syria barrel bomb attack: At least 16 killed at wake in Aleppo