KINSTON, LENOIR COUNTY - A two-car accident on Highway 258 in Kinston ended with one man trapped under an SUV.
Troopers with the North Carolina Highway Patrol say that Kevin Lee Potter, 35, was driving a 1998 Chevy Blazer at a high rate of speed along Hull Rd. in Kinston when he ran a red light. They say his car collided with a 2000 Jeep Cherokee driven by 45-year-old Peggy Reyes.
Troopers say that Potter was ejected from the vehicle as it rolled. They say that the vehicle landed on top of Potter, trapping his legs.
North Carolina Highway Patrol Troopers responded to the scene. Crews were able to pull Potter out from underneath the Blazer. He was airlifted to Vidant Medical Center for treatment. Lenoir County EMS took his passenger, Christina Whitley, 44, to Vidant Medical Center in Greenville as well. Reyes was transported to Lenoir Memorial Hospital by Lenoir County EMS.
Potter will be charged with reckless driving and failure to stop at a red light.
We're continuing to gather information on the condition of all three.
- Tornado watch issued for most of North Carolina
- Updated Tyrrell County residents brace for more after damaging Tuesday storms
- Updated Fallen local soldier to be honored at weekend NASCAR race
- Investigators stay mum 24 hours after body thought to be missing man's found in ditch
- Demolition date set for old New Bern Days Inn