ASHEVILLE, N.C. - An Asheville mother says she is relieved after her 18-month-old son was returned home safely following a carjacking.
Latesia Watley says she walking back to her car outside a gas station on Thursday night when someone jumped inside the vehicle and drove off. Watley's son was strapped in his car seat in the back.
An hour later, police said the car had been found with the toddler still inside. Watley says she thinks the would-be kidnapper abandoned the car once he realized the child was in the backseat.
Authorities are still looking for the suspect.
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Updated The history behind Kaepernick's anthem protest
- Police say erratic driving leads to arrest, stolen vehicle recovered
- Yokohama Tire Corporation Selects North Carolina for Technical Development Center, Creating 56 Jobs
- McCain, Rubio, Wasserman Schultz face Tuesday primary tests
- Parmalee announces their return to Greenville