ASHEVILLE, N.C. - An Asheville mother says she is relieved after her 18-month-old son was returned home safely following a carjacking.
Latesia Watley says she walking back to her car outside a gas station on Thursday night when someone jumped inside the vehicle and drove off. Watley's son was strapped in his car seat in the back.
An hour later, police said the car had been found with the toddler still inside. Watley says she thinks the would-be kidnapper abandoned the car once he realized the child was in the backseat.
Authorities are still looking for the suspect.
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Updated Before his coma he spoke English; after waking up he's fluent in Spanish
- Updated Auburn to honor Barkley with statue
- Pope opens private summer residence to visitors
- Governor tours Princeville, visits Rocky Mount Disaster Recovery Center
- Former President Bill Clinton taking bus tour through Greenville