ZEBULON, N.C. - Authorities say a man has been injured during a shooting with a Zebulon police officer.
Wake County sheriff's deputies say an officer was called to a home at around 6:15 a.m. Saturday for a disturbance complaint.
The home belongs to the grandparents of 22-year-old Derek Smith. Authorities say Smith came out of the house and fired at the officer, who shot back and hit Smith.
Smith was taken to the hospital and was listed in critical condition. Officials said Smith's grandparents were also taken to the hospital for injuries they got while trying to take a gun away from Smith.
State police are investigating the shooting, and the officer involved has been placed on paid administrative duty.
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- New New Bern Police arrest man in early-morning shooting
- New Report of rabies reported in Cape Carteret
- Updated White House effort to justify travel ban causes growing concern for some intelligence officials
- New Response to drug activity leads to arrest
- Caught on video: Plane's landing gear collapses in Amsterdam