ZEBULON, N.C. - Authorities say a man has been injured during a shooting with a Zebulon police officer.
Wake County sheriff's deputies say an officer was called to a home at around 6:15 a.m. Saturday for a disturbance complaint.
The home belongs to the grandparents of 22-year-old Derek Smith. Authorities say Smith came out of the house and fired at the officer, who shot back and hit Smith.
Smith was taken to the hospital and was listed in critical condition. Officials said Smith's grandparents were also taken to the hospital for injuries they got while trying to take a gun away from Smith.
State police are investigating the shooting, and the officer involved has been placed on paid administrative duty.
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- New Eyewitness claims woman threw kittens from moving car
- Fallen local soldier to be honored at weekend NASCAR race
- Investigators stay mum 24 hours after body thought to be missing man's found in ditch
- Many blueberry farmers picking crop earlier than normal
- Demolition date set for old New Bern Days Inn