ELONA - Burke County deputies responding to a fire Saturday afternoon said the man told them he was shot by a neighbor. The house near Elona burned down to the ground because officers wouldn't let fire crews near because they thought they had an armed suspect.
But investigators say no one was found, and the man's story didn't add up.
Authorities now think the man shot himself and caused the fire when he tried to set off a crude shotgun made from a pipe.
- Updated White House blocks news organizations from press briefing
- New Rusted Root to headline stage at 11th annual PirateFest
- Updated Small Ohio town counts on Trump to stave off plant closures
- Updated Trump rally: CEOs of Dow companies make $400 million
- Updated Tryon Palace director no longer serving position