ELONA - Burke County deputies responding to a fire Saturday afternoon said the man told them he was shot by a neighbor. The house near Elona burned down to the ground because officers wouldn't let fire crews near because they thought they had an armed suspect.
But investigators say no one was found, and the man's story didn't add up.
Authorities now think the man shot himself and caused the fire when he tried to set off a crude shotgun made from a pipe.
- New Rousseff's impeachment trial opens in Brazil
- Updated Navy surprises ailing WWII veteran at his home
- Updated Here's what happened to AIDS drug that spiked 5,000%
- Accused Pitt Co. murder suspect officially charged with murder of three children
- Greenville Fire & Rescue classifies overnight fire as intentional