NEW BERN - A man was sentenced in Craven County Tuesday to 146 years in prison, for a string of armed robberies in Raleigh.
In addition, the federal judge in New Bern ordered 23-year-old Antonio Rashaad Dovine, of Raleigh, to serve five years of supervised release and pay a restitution of $7,590, said U.S. Attorney Thomas G. Walker.
According to prosecutors, Dovine, along with co-conspirators, robbed an Exxon gas station, at 1200 New Bern Ave. in Raleigh, on April 14, 2011. The thieves attacked a clerk and a customer.
Later that same day, the thieves robbed a McDonald's restaurant, at 5016 Spring Forest Road in Raleigh, investigators said.
Then, on April 22, 2011, Dovine and his co-conspirators robbed from a Hampton Inn, at 1001 Wake Towne Road in Raleigh, according to prosecutors. Money and an employee's laptop were stolen.
Five days later, the thieves robbed the Wingate Inn, at 2610 Westinghouse Blvd. in Raleigh, investigators said. During that heist, Dovine hit a cashier in the face with the butt of a shotgun, according to police.
Finally, on May 3, 2011, Dovine and his co-conspirators tried to rob a Family Fare BP gas station, at 2120 New Bern Avenue in Raleigh, investigators said. But no money was taken in that incident.
According to investigators, guns were used in all the robberies.
Dovine was found guilty on Nov. 16, 2012 of the following charges:
- One count of conspiracy to rob a business engaged in interstate commerce
- Five counts of aiding and abetting the robbery of a business engaged in interstate commerce
- One count of attempted robbery of a business engaged in interstate commerce,
- Six counts of aiding and abetting the use of a firearm during a crime of violence,
- Three counts of felon in possession of a firearm
- New Eyewitness claims woman threw kittens from moving car
- Fallen local soldier to be honored at weekend NASCAR race
- Investigators stay mum 24 hours after body thought to be missing man's found in ditch
- Many blueberry farmers picking crop earlier than normal
- Demolition date set for old New Bern Days Inn