HENDERSON, N.C. - A North Carolina man who hogtied and sexually assaulted two women inside a northern New Jersey apartment and also tried to murder his nephew there has been sentenced to 60 years in prison.
Anthony Massenburg, a former East Orange resident, must serve 85 percent of the sentence imposed Wednesday before becoming eligible for parole. He was convicted in December on 14 counts, including attempted murder, aggravated assault and sexual assault.
The 41-year-old Henderson, N.C., resident and three accomplices broke into his nephew's Irvington apartment in January 2010. He wasn't there, but the nephew's girlfriend and another woman were and they were tortured until the girlfriend agreed to call the nephew.
The nephew returned and was hit on the head with a hammer, but he and the women managed to escape.
- Fallen local soldier to be honored at weekend NASCAR race
- Investigators stay mum 24 hours after body thought to be missing man's found in ditch
- Many blueberry farmers picking crop earlier than normal
- Demolition date set for old New Bern Days Inn
- Tyrrell County residents brace for more after damaging Tuesday storms