BEAUFORT, CARTERET COUNTY - A 22-year-old man is sentenced to 3 to 6 years in prison for stabbing his girlfriend and her friend. Police say four young children were home when it happened.
22-year-old Aaron Smith pleaded guilty to two counts of assault with a deadly weapon inflicting serious injury. He stabbed his girlfriend and her friend at his home on Turner Street in Beaufort in June of 2013.
Officers say when they arrived at the scene, they found Smith standing on the front porch of the home wearing a blood-soaked shirt. They say he admitted it was the women's blood.
Smith is also awaiting a probation violation hearing from an earlier felony conviction in Carteret County.
- New Was New Bern first in America to celebrate George Washington's birthday?
- Updated New Bern stab victim says he was accused of stealing drugs
- Updated Reports: Dolphins acquire TE Thomas from Jaguars
- Updated Trade of Cousins to Pelicans becomes official
- Updated Small plane crashes near Melbourne's Essendon airport