BEAUFORT, CARTERET COUNTY - A 22-year-old man is sentenced to 3 to 6 years in prison for stabbing his girlfriend and her friend. Police say four young children were home when it happened.
22-year-old Aaron Smith pleaded guilty to two counts of assault with a deadly weapon inflicting serious injury. He stabbed his girlfriend and her friend at his home on Turner Street in Beaufort in June of 2013.
Officers say when they arrived at the scene, they found Smith standing on the front porch of the home wearing a blood-soaked shirt. They say he admitted it was the women's blood.
Smith is also awaiting a probation violation hearing from an earlier felony conviction in Carteret County.
- Traveling Vietnam War memorial in Morehead City for Memorial Day weekend
- Pine Knoll Shores officials ask public to take precautions during busy holiday
- NWS confirms tornado touched down in Tyrrell County
- Animal control investigating chemical burns on dog found in Duplin County
- Greenville Hilton earns accolades thanks to guest satisfaction