NEWPORT, CARTERET COUNTY - A Carteret County man has admitted to kidnapping a 3-year-old through a window to commit sex crimes against the victim.
David Lance Pereira, 28, of Newport, pleaded guilty on Thursday to attempted sex offense involving a child, kidnapping, and burglary, according to the Carteret County Sheriff's Office. He was sentenced to between 18.4 years to 23.6 years in prison.
Pereira broke into a home on Chatham Street in Newport at about 10:30 p.m. on Dec. 2., 2010, investigators said. The man then kidnapped the 3-year-old boy through a window.
A short time after the child's mother reported him missing, a witness called 911 and told authorities that a man with a small boy was knocking on doors asking for gas, said investigators. Deputies later found Pereira and the 3-year-old walking on Nine Mile Road in Newport in the early morning hours of Dec. 3., 2010.
The boy was partially clothed in very cold weather, according to the Sheriff's Office.
Pereira was immediately arrested and the child was treated at Carteret General Hospital.
- Man arrested in fatal stabbing of 2 nuns in Mississippi
- Italy earthquake: A country in mourning begins burying the dead
- Updated Trump spreads claim that Clinton's 'mentor' was 'KKK member'
- Updated ISIS video shows boys executing prisoners
- Nate Parker on 'toxic masculinity,' consent and 'male privilege'