NEWPORT, CARTERET COUNTY - A Carteret County man has admitted to kidnapping a 3-year-old through a window to commit sex crimes against the victim.
David Lance Pereira, 28, of Newport, pleaded guilty on Thursday to attempted sex offense involving a child, kidnapping, and burglary, according to the Carteret County Sheriff's Office. He was sentenced to between 18.4 years to 23.6 years in prison.
Pereira broke into a home on Chatham Street in Newport at about 10:30 p.m. on Dec. 2., 2010, investigators said. The man then kidnapped the 3-year-old boy through a window.
A short time after the child's mother reported him missing, a witness called 911 and told authorities that a man with a small boy was knocking on doors asking for gas, said investigators. Deputies later found Pereira and the 3-year-old walking on Nine Mile Road in Newport in the early morning hours of Dec. 3., 2010.
The boy was partially clothed in very cold weather, according to the Sheriff's Office.
Pereira was immediately arrested and the child was treated at Carteret General Hospital.
- New Was New Bern first in America to celebrate George Washington's birthday?
- Updated New Bern stab victim says he was accused of stealing drugs
- Updated Reports: Dolphins acquire TE Thomas from Jaguars
- Updated Trade of Cousins to Pelicans becomes official
- Updated Small plane crashes near Melbourne's Essendon airport