PAMLICO COUNTY - A New Bern man was killed in a single-vehicle crash in Pamlico County early Tuesday morning, investigators said.
According to the Highway Patrol, 48-year-old Tracy Andrew Popperwill was killed in the wreck, which happened at about 1:10 a.m. Tuesday on Neuse Road between Scott's Store Road and Prescott Road.
Investigators said Popperwill's car traveled left of center and ran off the road to the left, causing him to hit a ditch and overturn his vehicle, said troopers.
Popperwill was ejected from his car and died, investigators said.
Family and friends tell us he leaves behind five children and was a fishermen.
Troopers said speed was a factor. They said they are also awaiting test results to see if drugs and alcohol were involved.
- Tornado watch issued for most of North Carolina
- Updated Investigators stay mum 24 hours after body thought to be missing man's found in ditch
- Updated Tyrrell County residents brace for more after damaging Tuesday storms
- Updated Coast Guard searches for missing crew of capsized Swan Quarter fishing boat
- Demolition date set for old New Bern Days Inn