PAMLICO COUNTY - A New Bern man was killed in a single-vehicle crash in Pamlico County early Tuesday morning, investigators said.
According to the Highway Patrol, 48-year-old Tracy Andrew Popperwill was killed in the wreck, which happened at about 1:10 a.m. Tuesday on Neuse Road between Scott's Store Road and Prescott Road.
Investigators said Popperwill's car traveled left of center and ran off the road to the left, causing him to hit a ditch and overturn his vehicle, said troopers.
Popperwill was ejected from his car and died, investigators said.
Family and friends tell us he leaves behind five children and was a fishermen.
Troopers said speed was a factor. They said they are also awaiting test results to see if drugs and alcohol were involved.
- Updated On Mexico trip, Trump leaves press stranded
- Updated Supreme Court refuses to restore voter ID, reduce early voting days
- Updated Infantry training building aboard Camp Geiger named for fallen Marine
- Updated Lara Trump visits Eastern North Carolina to support father in law
- Updated Preparations for first ECU home game underway