PITT COUNTY - A man was killed in a forklift accident at a Weyerhaeuser plant in Pitt County Monday morning, officials said.
The fatal accident happened at the facility at 371 E Hanrahan Rd., between Grifton and Ayden.
The Pitt County Sheriff's Office said the fatal accident involved a forklift.
The man killed was 54 years old and had worked at the facility for the past seven-and-a-half years, according to Weyerhaeuser Public Affairs Manager Nancy Thompson. But the victim's name has not been released.
"We have lost a valuable member of our Weyerhaeuser team and we extend our thoughts and prayers to his family," said Thompson in a statement.
The Occupational Safety & Health Administration (OSHA) is investigating.
The mill, which employs 184 people, remains closed, Thompson said. Counseling services are available to affected employees.
An OSHA representative tells us the last time the plant was inspected was 2009. Based on information from the OSHA website, the Pitt County plant had four violations that were listed as serious.
- LIVE FBI reopening investigation of Hillary Clinton email server
- Updated Duplin County man arrested for drugs, guns and explosives
- Updated Viewer captures photos, video of manatees in Pine Knoll Shores
- Updated Bill Cosby is legally blind, according to defense attorneys
- Updated Stocks sink on Clinton email bombshell