MARTIN COUNTY - The Highway Patrol says a man was killed after crashing his car into the back of a garbage truck Friday afternoon.
The investigating trooper said the wreck happened at about 2:30 p.m. Friday on U.S. 64, about a mile-and-a-half east of Jamesville in Martin County.
According to the trooper, 51-year-old Ibraham Rizek, of Eagle Chase Lane, was driving his Toyota westbound on U.S. 64 when he crashed into the back of a garbage truck that was doing its duties. Rizek was not wearing a seat belt, the trooper said.
Rizek was taken to Martin General hospital, where he died from his injuries, said the trooper.
- Tornado watch issued for most of North Carolina
- Updated Tyrrell County residents brace for more after damaging Tuesday storms
- Updated Fallen local soldier to be honored at weekend NASCAR race
- Investigators stay mum 24 hours after body thought to be missing man's found in ditch
- Demolition date set for old New Bern Days Inn