NEW BERN, CRAVEN COUNTY - Officials said a man was found dead near his New Bern home Saturday evening has now been identified.
New Bern police said Joseph Diello, 86, was working on his dock along the 2400 block of Turtle Bay Road when he disappeared.
Officials said this started out as a missing person case. They say Diello was outside working on his dock when he disappeared around 4 p.m. Saturday.
Crews searched both along the Trent River and land, knocking on doors, before his body was found in the water.
It is unclear if Diello fell from the dock or went into the river for a swim.
Officials said it will be up to the medical examiners to determine his cause of death.
The death has been ruled as an accident.
- Son kills father, himself in murder-suicide in Morehead City
- One dead, two injured after early-morning shooting in New Bern
- Coast Guard calls off search for missing Hyde County boaters off Georgia
- Dudley man shot, killed early Saturday; Goldsboro Police investigating
- Travelers out in bunches for Memorial Day weekend