HUBERT, ONSLOW COUNTY - An Onslow County man is facing charges for allegedly causing a three-vehicle crash that left one driver dead and another injured.
Spencer Davis Sharpe, 25, of Richlands, wasn't paying attention when he was driving north on Highway 172 in Hubert at about 5:20 p.m. Thursday, according to the Highway Patrol.
Troopers said Sharpe swerved left and struck the left rear corner of a 1993 Honda driven by James Allen Denton, 36, of Hubert, who was slowing down to make a right turn into a driveway.
Sharpe then allegedly drove left of center and crashed head-on into a 1993 Nissan driven by Jake Ray Jones, 61, of Kinston, as he was heading south on Highway 172. Jones' truck was pulling a boat.
Jones' truck ran off the road came to rest in a ditch, troopers said. Jones was killed in the crash. His passenger, William Jones, 66, of Pink Hill, was airlifted to New Hanover Regional Medical Center with non-life-threatening injuries, according to investigators.
Sharpe has been charged with misdemeanor death by motor vehicle, driving left of center, and failure to reduce speed to avoid collision. Troopers said they did not believe alcohol was involved.
- Son kills father, himself in murder-suicide in Morehead City
- One dead, two injured after early-morning shooting in New Bern
- Coast Guard calls off search for missing Hyde County boaters off Georgia
- Dudley man shot, killed early Saturday; Goldsboro Police investigating
- Travelers out in bunches for Memorial Day weekend