HUBERT, ONSLOW COUNTY - An Onslow County man is facing charges for allegedly causing a three-vehicle crash that left one driver dead and another injured.
Spencer Davis Sharpe, 25, of Richlands, wasn't paying attention when he was driving north on Highway 172 in Hubert at about 5:20 p.m. Thursday, according to the Highway Patrol.
Troopers said Sharpe swerved left and struck the left rear corner of a 1993 Honda driven by James Allen Denton, 36, of Hubert, who was slowing down to make a right turn into a driveway.
Sharpe then allegedly drove left of center and crashed head-on into a 1993 Nissan driven by Jake Ray Jones, 61, of Kinston, as he was heading south on Highway 172. Jones' truck was pulling a boat.
Jones' truck ran off the road came to rest in a ditch, troopers said. Jones was killed in the crash. His passenger, William Jones, 66, of Pink Hill, was airlifted to New Hanover Regional Medical Center with non-life-threatening injuries, according to investigators.
Sharpe has been charged with misdemeanor death by motor vehicle, driving left of center, and failure to reduce speed to avoid collision. Troopers said they did not believe alcohol was involved.
- Man arrested in fatal stabbing of 2 nuns in Mississippi
- Italy earthquake: A country in mourning begins burying the dead
- Updated Rhymefest's angry tweet draws Chicago police apology
- Amid Zika fears, Florida theme parks offer mosquito repellent
- Vandemere Waterfront Park reopens five years after Hurricane Irene destruction