HUBERT - Deputies say a man shoots three horses, killing one of them. The other two were later euthanized. Keith Kincy has been arrested and now faces gun and animal cruelty charges.
Investigators say the three horses were shot about four o'clock Friday morning at a home located on Hubert Blvd in Onslow County. One of those horses died at the scene, according to deputies. A veterinarian checked the injuries of the two horses that had initially survived the shooting, but just before 10 a.m. on Friday, recommended that they be euthanized.
"It just kills me because I love animals," said Amber Carter, who works near the home and has seen the horses on many occasions. "Animals deserve a lot of respect, just like people. They need to be treated right. They don't need to be hurt. They don't need to be shot."
Investigators say the horses belong to Darnell Kurney. They say Kurney is the ex-boyfriend of Kincy's ex-wife.
Kincy also faces charges for discharge of a firearm within 500 feet of an occupied dwelling and driving without a license. He is currently held in the Onslow County Detention Facility under a $16,000 secured bond.
Authorities say no motive is being released at this time.
- Son kills father, himself in murder-suicide in Morehead City
- One dead, two injured after early-morning shooting in New Bern
- Coast Guard calls off search for missing Hyde County boaters off Georgia
- Dudley man shot, killed early Saturday; Goldsboro Police investigating
- Travelers out in bunches for Memorial Day weekend