HUBERT - Deputies say a man shoots three horses, killing one of them. The other two were later euthanized. Keith Kincy has been arrested and now faces gun and animal cruelty charges.
Investigators say the three horses were shot about four o'clock Friday morning at a home located on Hubert Blvd in Onslow County. One of those horses died at the scene, according to deputies. A veterinarian checked the injuries of the two horses that had initially survived the shooting, but just before 10 a.m. on Friday, recommended that they be euthanized.
"It just kills me because I love animals," said Amber Carter, who works near the home and has seen the horses on many occasions. "Animals deserve a lot of respect, just like people. They need to be treated right. They don't need to be hurt. They don't need to be shot."
Investigators say the horses belong to Darnell Kurney. They say Kurney is the ex-boyfriend of Kincy's ex-wife.
Kincy also faces charges for discharge of a firearm within 500 feet of an occupied dwelling and driving without a license. He is currently held in the Onslow County Detention Facility under a $16,000 secured bond.
Authorities say no motive is being released at this time.
- Updated Southwest pilots reach tentative deal with airline after 4 years of talks
- Updated NC DOT's Ferry Division prepares for tropical system
- Updated Tropical storm warning, small craft advisory issued for Carteret County
- Updated Hershey crashes 11% after chocolate merger talks end
- Updated Chicago, aka 'Chi-raq' likely to top 2015 in number of shootings