WINTERVILLE, PITT COUNTY - A Winterville man suffered minor burns in a house fire Saturday night.
Fire crews were called to the 2600 block of Garland Road just before 6 p.m.
Crews arrived to find smoke and flames coming from the home.
The blaze started as a cooking fire, a fire official said.
Most of the family members were not home at the time of the fire; the father, in his 30s, was home and was cooking, a fire official said.
That man suffered minor burns to one of his hands, the fire official said.
There were no other reported injuries.
The damage to the home has displaced the family, which is now getting help from the Red Cross.
- Traveling Vietnam War memorial in Morehead City for Memorial Day weekend
- Greenville Hilton earns accolades thanks to guest satisfaction
- Animal control investigating chemical burns on dog found in Duplin County
- Lenoir County Sheriff's Office loses K-9 to medical issue
- Documents: Man tried to bite flight attendant before jumping out of plane in Charlotte