GREENSBORO - A Greensboro man has been arrested on charges of cockfighting and animal cruelty.
The Guilford County sheriff's office says Umberto Almazan Rubio was arrested Wednesday after officers searched his home. Animal control officers seized more than 100 roosters, hens and chicks.
Deputies say they learned Rubio was using his home for cockfighting and to raise roosters to fight. Officers found drugs to make the birds larger and stronger.
Deputies say there were tethers in the ground that can be used to train the birds.
Officers say most of the roosters were kept in poor, cramped conditions.
Rubio is charged with two felony counts of cockfighting, one misdemeanor count of animal cruelty and altering the serial number on a gun.
It was not clear if Rubio has a lawyer.
- Updated Predicted rainy forecast forces high schools to move more games
- Updated Poll: Clinton favorability slides to equal Trump
- Updated Inequality is widening, even in real estate
- Updated Landmark US commercial flight lands in Cuba
- Updated Donald Trump to deliver highly anticipated immigration speech following Mexico visit