DUPLIN COUNTY - A woman is dead after police said she was severely beaten by her boyfriend.
It happened at a home on Tapp Farm Road in Duplin County near Beulaville on Monday. 45-year-old Leota Chaney was taken Lenoir Memorial Hospital. She had been admitted by her live in boyfriend, 44-year-old Jesus Cortez. Chaney was suffering from severe head trauma. She later died from her injuries.
Jesus Cortez has been arrested and charged with one count of open murder.
- 49ers QB sits during national anthem in protest
- Man arrested in fatal stabbing of 2 nuns in Mississippi
- Italy earthquake: A country in mourning begins burying the dead
- New Pence: Trump is 'a CEO at work' on immigration
- A state politician voicing concerns over the Whitewater Center reopening following amoeba death