A man was arrested for allegedly raping a girl younger than 13 years old, Carteret County deputies said.
Gerald Wayne Griffith, Jr., 41, of County Line Road in New Bern, was taken into custody on Wednesday. According to deputies, Griffith allegedly raped the girl , who he knew, in Beaufort in 2008.
Investigators did not release the exact age of the victim, but said she was younger than 13 years old at the time of the incident.
Griffith was charged with one count of first-degree rape, one count of engaging in a sex offense with a child and other charges. He was held in the Carteret County Jail under a $100,000 bond. His first court appearance was Thursday morning.
- Updated Autism link to herpes during pregnancy may be overstated, experts say
- New Silver Alert issued for missing Beaufort County man
- New North Carolina lawmaker introduces 'life at conception' bill
- Updated Verizon to test 5G in 11 cities
- Updated Astronomers discover 7 Earth-sized planets orbiting nearby star