BEAUFORT COUNTY - Authorities arrested a man accused of stealing a Caterpillar excavator and other construction equipment from his employer.
Herbert Lee Garriss, 46, is charged with three counts of larceny by employee, according to the Beaufort County Sheriff's Office.
Investigators said Garriss stole a Caterpillar excavator, a Kawasaki Mule UTV (utility task vehicle) and a portable fuel tank from a local construction business where he worked.
Representatives from the business reported the larcenies on March 7, and deputies said they found the stolen equipment at Garriss' home on Camp Leech Road, about 12 miles southeast of Washington.
Garriss was arrested by the Washington Police Department Wednesday, and was being held under a $10,000 secured bond at the Beaufort County Detention Center.
- Son kills father, himself in murder-suicide in Morehead City
- One dead, two injured after early-morning shooting in New Bern
- Coast Guard calls off search for missing Hyde County boaters off Georgia
- Dudley man shot, killed early Saturday; Goldsboro Police investigating
- Travelers out in bunches for Memorial Day weekend