BEAUFORT COUNTY - Authorities arrested a man accused of stealing a Caterpillar excavator and other construction equipment from his employer.
Herbert Lee Garriss, 46, is charged with three counts of larceny by employee, according to the Beaufort County Sheriff's Office.
Investigators said Garriss stole a Caterpillar excavator, a Kawasaki Mule UTV (utility task vehicle) and a portable fuel tank from a local construction business where he worked.
Representatives from the business reported the larcenies on March 7, and deputies said they found the stolen equipment at Garriss' home on Camp Leech Road, about 12 miles southeast of Washington.
Garriss was arrested by the Washington Police Department Wednesday, and was being held under a $10,000 secured bond at the Beaufort County Detention Center.
- Updated Autism link to herpes during pregnancy may be overstated, experts say
- New Silver Alert issued for missing Beaufort County man
- New North Carolina lawmaker introduces 'life at conception' bill
- Updated Verizon to test 5G in 11 cities
- Updated Astronomers discover 7 Earth-sized planets orbiting nearby star