BAYBORO, PAMLICO COUNTY - Investigators say a man started a fire outside a library connected to Pamlico County High School late Wednesday night.
The Pamlico County Sheriff's Office arrested Nathaniel Dennis Jenkins and charged him with felony burning of a school house.
According to the fire marshal, the suspect set several personal items on fire in front of the doors of a public library connected to Pamlico County High School, located on Main Street in Bayboro.
Investigators said the fire was reported around 11 p.m. Wednesday. There was only minor damage. The school and library opened as normal.
Officials said the suspect is not a student at the school, but there is no word on a motive. Investigators say it appears to be random.
Jenkins was found a few blocks down from where the fire was started. He was arrested and booked at the Pamlico County Jail overnight. His bond was set at $15,000.
The Pamlico County Superintendent, Dr. Wanda Dawson, says she is glad things did not turn out worse and that this did not impact the school day.
Employees at the library say the fire left a black mark on the ground, which they have already had cleaned.
- Tornado watch for most of Eastern NC canceled
- Fallen local soldier to be honored at weekend NASCAR race
- Investigators stay mum 24 hours after body thought to be missing man's found in ditch
- Many blueberry farmers picking crop earlier than normal
- Tyrrell County residents brace for more after damaging Tuesday storms