PITT COUNTY - A man has been charged for allegedly soliciting a child on a computer.
Ontrea Speight, 34, was arrested on Thursday and taken to the Pitt County Detention Center, officials said.
Neighbors say they knew of him, but not necessarily what he was like as a person. "I'm not surprised that would be one of the things he would prefer, you know, younger children," said a neighbor.
Residents say Speight lives at 318 Line Avenue in Greenville, approximately 300 feet from the Mount Calvary Day Care.
"I would have never thought that he would go to that extent to pursue his preference," said a neighbor.
Residents hope the alleged incidents don't have long term effects on the victim. "The child is probably messed up the rest of her life, whether it's a boy or a girl, you know. Kids cannot defend themselves," said neighbor Nell Robinson.
Speight has been charged with three counts of soliciting a child by computer, insurance fraud, and obtaining property by false pretense. His bond was set at $75,000.
- Updated Brexit: 4.2 million migrants still wait to learn their fate
- New Onslow County man facing larceny, other charges
- Updated Iraqi forces take key village near airport from ISIS
- Updated 'Stand your ground' hearing opens in Fla. theater shooting
- New Winterville Police looking for suspect in Subway robbery