CARTERET COUNTY - Deputies say an SUV driver ran over his estranged wife's boyfriend, causing serious injuries.
According to the Carteret County Sheriff's Office, deputies arrested 40-year-old Daniel Shane Kepler, of Beaufort, on Saturday.
Investigators said Kepler --while driving his Toyota 4Runner-- intentionally ran over 36-year-old James Lupton, of Harkers Island, just before 7 p.m. Saturday. It happened at the Zingo Convenient Store at the intersection of Highway 101 and Laurel Road outside of Beaufort, said the Sheriff's Office.
Deputy Nicholas Surfass said Kepler intentionally struck Lupton because the victim is dating Kepler's wife, who is separated from Kepler.
Lupton suffered major leg injuries and was taken to Carteret General Hospital, said investigators. He was then transported to Vidant Medical Center in Greenville, where he was listed as stable.
Deputies said they went to the home of Kepler, who cooperated with authorities and admitted to the crime.
Kepler is charged with one count of assault with a deadly weapon with intent to kill inflicting serious injury. He was placed in the Carteret County Jail under a $75,000 bond and was scheduled for his first court appearance Monday morning.
- Updated Supreme Court refuses to restore voter ID, reduce early voting days
- Updated FSU football player wins hearts sharing lunch
- Updated Camp Lejeune reports death of Marine in Beulaville
- Updated NFL clears three more players in PEDs investigation
- Updated Kratom to join heroin, LSD on Schedule I drug list