KINSTON, LENOIR COUNTY - Police say a man is accused of driving while impaired in a wreck that killed another man on a scooter.
Melvin Sutton, 56, was driving his Ford Taurus south on Independence Street in Kinston at about 7 p.m. Sunday when his car hit a scooter head-on, according to Woody Spencer with the Kinston Department of Public Safety.
The man on the scooter, 26-year-old Jamal Williams, died at a hospital, Spencer said.
Sutton is charged with felony death by vehicle, driving while impaired, driving left of center, and resisting a public officer, said Spencer. Sutton is scheduled to be in court on Oct. 7.
- Updated Amanda Knox documentary takes media to task
- Updated Obama waits impatiently for Bill Clinton on Air Force One
- Ryder Cup: Europe cuts US lead on opening day at Hazeltine
- Wells Fargo made me work overtime -- without extra pay
- Rangers officially complete purchase of Kinston franchise from Minor League Baseball