BAYBORO, PAMLICO COUNTY - A Pamlico County man has been arrested for allegedly breaking the ribs of an 11-month-old boy.
Pamlico County Sheriff Billy Sawyer told NewsChannel 12 Steven Spivey was arrested Thursday and has been charged with felony child abuse.
According to Sheriff Sawyer, Spivey was at his girlfriend's home when he broke five ribs of her 11-month-old son.
Investigator Dwayne Cobb said the injuries weren't fresh. The baby boy had been suffering from broken ribs for about a week before he was taken to the hospital.
"I can't even imagine. I mean, it's just indescribable," Cobb said.
The child has since been released from the hospital. Cobb said both the mother and her baby son are in protective custody.
"This was an ongoing situation that had occurred over time," Cobb added. "It's more of a domestic type situation with her as well."
Cobb said this is something that can be avoided.
"You have to take time and step away from the situation and then come back when you're cool and easier to deal with it," Cobb said.
Spivey is being jailed under a $50,000 bond. A motive has not been released.
A family member of Spivey tells NewsChannel 12 that she believes his girlfriend should be investigated as well. Law enforcement wouldn't comment on whether she is being questioned in relation to the case.
- 49ers QB sits during national anthem in protest
- Man arrested in fatal stabbing of 2 nuns in Mississippi
- Italy earthquake: A country in mourning begins burying the dead
- A state politician voicing concerns over the Whitewater Center reopening following amoeba death
- Syria barrel bomb attack: At least 16 killed at wake in Aleppo