RIVERDALE, CRAVEN COUNTY - Helicopters airlifted a man and a 5-year-old boy who were injured in a wreck in Craven County Thursday evening.
According to investigators, Jerry Dixon was driving westbound on Highway 70 when he fell asleep at the wheel, ran off the road and then hit an embankment before spinning out of control in the mud. It happened at about 4:30 p.m. Thursday, near Fishers Landing Rd. and Riverdale Rd.
Dixon and his girlfriend's 5-year-old son were injured, and a pair of helicopters landed on Highway 70 to pick the victims up, troopers said. Both victims are expected to be okay.
At last check, no charges had been filed.
Highway 70 near the accident scene was blocked in directions so the helicopters could land. That section of the road has since reopened.
- Son kills father, himself in murder-suicide in Morehead City
- One dead, two injured after early-morning shooting in New Bern
- Coast Guard calls off search for missing Hyde County boaters off Georgia
- Dudley man shot, killed early Saturday; Goldsboro Police investigating
- Travelers out in bunches for Memorial Day weekend