RIVERDALE, CRAVEN COUNTY - Helicopters airlifted a man and a 5-year-old boy who were injured in a wreck in Craven County Thursday evening.
According to investigators, Jerry Dixon was driving westbound on Highway 70 when he fell asleep at the wheel, ran off the road and then hit an embankment before spinning out of control in the mud. It happened at about 4:30 p.m. Thursday, near Fishers Landing Rd. and Riverdale Rd.
Dixon and his girlfriend's 5-year-old son were injured, and a pair of helicopters landed on Highway 70 to pick the victims up, troopers said. Both victims are expected to be okay.
At last check, no charges had been filed.
Highway 70 near the accident scene was blocked in directions so the helicopters could land. That section of the road has since reopened.
- Updated You had one job: Meet the firm behind the Oscars' biggest blunder
- New Jacksonville man accused of hitting teen in face with shovel
- Updated Top 25 roundup: UCF stuns No. 15 Cincinnati
- Updated Creighton's Watson turns himself in to answer sexual assault charge
- Updated Tesla gets downgraded to 'sell' by Goldman Sachs