CRAVEN COUNTY - A recent lottery winner who was a victim of a home invasion believes the crooks were after his winnings.
"They were waving a gun, saying 'give me the money,'" said Kelvin Spears, who won approximately $80,000 from a November Carolina Pick 4 ticket.
The men kicked down Spears' door at approximately 10:30 p.m. Wednesday, according to Craven County deputies.
Spears, seen in the photo, lives with his girlfriend, mother, and his mother's two foster children on South West Craven Middle School Road, west of New Bern.
He fought with them, and one ran through a glass door to escape.
Spears then got in his car and chased the men to the Lenoir County line.
"I got a flat tire and had to stop," Spears said.
Nothing was taken during the incident.
Spears has several scrapes from his fight, but no one else was hurt.
There's no word of arrests.
Anyone with information on the two suspects is asked to call the Craven County Sheriff's Office.
- Updated NOAA predicts above-average hurricane season for 2017
- Updated Couple watches in horror as kittens tossed from moving car, run over
- Havelock Police, high school students explore the horrors of drunk driving
- Updated Facility for developmentally disabled gets overhauled kitchen
- Coast Guard to use air units in search for local fishing crew