A Carteret County woman won $50,000 to donate to her children's schools.
Newport resident Melinda Dunkle won the money in the Food Lion Box Tops for Education Sweepstakes.
The sweepstakes grants money for the winner to give to education.
Dunkle is the one lucky winner from the 11 states in which the sweepstakes run.
Food Lion and General Mills presented Newport Elementary and Newport Middle schools with two checks Thursday, each for $25,000.
Dunkle has three children who attend the schools, so she asked that the winnings be split.
- Updated Tropical Storm Matthew forms in the Caribbean could have impacts to Eastern North Carolina
- Updated Trump peddles Google conspiracy theory
- UPDATE: Missing 11-year-old North Carolina girl found safe
- CIA Director: We 'have to assume' terrorist activity in US
- Trump campaign talking points: Bring up Monica