HAVELOCK, CRAVEN COUNTY - A Havelock woman battling a rare form of cancer has died.
Cindy Sills, 56, was diagnosed with a soft tissue cancer called Rhabdomyosarcoma last July. The diagnosis came the same day as her and her husband's 35th wedding anniversary.
Sills was determined to keep a positive attitude during her battle with cancer. She started a Facebook page called "Cindy's Rainbow" to raise awareness about Sarcoma.
Don Sills, Cindy's husband, said Cindy died Friday after a long and difficult fight.
"Like she said in those stories before, she [would] never shed a tear for cancer and she never did," he said. "She fought until the end and she's been an inspiration for many people who are fighting the battle and that gives them inspiration as well."
Don Sill said he plans to continue to raise awareness to Sarcoma in his wife's name.
Funeral services for Cindy Sills will be held Thursday morning at Annunciation Catholic Church in Havelock.
- Carteret Co. Sheriff's Office investigating murder-suicide
- Updated One dead, two injured after early-morning shooting in New Bern
- Travelers out in bunches for Memorial Day weekend
- Pine Knoll Shores officials ask public to take precautions during busy holiday
- Traveling Vietnam War memorial in Morehead City for Memorial Day weekend