This week is National Volunteer Week, and some volunteers from Eastern Carolina are spending it volunteering.
An Onslow County couple from our local Red Cross chapter traveled to Peoria, Illinois to help flood victims there. Peoria is one of the areas hit hardest by high flood waters across the Midwest.
Bob and Shirley Woodard joined hundreds of other volunteers to help provide food and shelter to those in need.
"We take hot meals, snacks and water," Bob Woodard said. "We haul a lot of water because the water is bad."
"It's such a wonderful feeling knowing you helped someone," Shirley Woodard said.
The couple has been volunteering with Red Cross for ten years. They left for Illinois last week and expect to return sometime next week.
The Red Cross of Eastern Carolina also deployed another volunteer from our area to help in the Midwest.
- Tornado watch issued for most of North Carolina
- Updated Tyrrell County residents brace for more after damaging Tuesday storms
- Updated Fallen local soldier to be honored at weekend NASCAR race
- Investigators stay mum 24 hours after body thought to be missing man's found in ditch
- Demolition date set for old New Bern Days Inn