COLUMBIA, Tyrrell County - A structure fire Monday morning just outside Columbia resulted in the total loss of a former business.
The call came in to the Regional 911 Communications Center of a structure fire just north of the Scuppernong River Bridge west of Columbia. The Tyrrell County Volunteer Fire Department, Creswell Volunteer Fire Department, NC Forest Service, Washington Tyrrell EMS, Tyrrell County Sheriff's Office, NC Highway Patrol and Tyrrell County Emergency Management responded to the fire.
One lane of U.S. 64 West was closed to traffic while crews battled the fire, which lasted about three hours. The structure, which housed several homeless people, was a total loss. There were no injuries.
The cause of the fire is under investigation by the Tyrrell County Sheriff's Office.
Gallery of photos from Sept. 11 Columbia structure fire
- Updated Hurricane Jose holding steady, Maria up to Category 5 storm
- Improvements in LCPS has others wanting to know how it was done
- North Duplin Junior Senior High one of 22 schools to get garden grant
- Water discovery lab in Greenville opens doors to curious students
- Greenville man arrested after weekend stabbing, shooting