COLUMBIA, Tyrrell County - The Tyrrell County Sheriff's Office is investigating a rash of drug overdoses at that county's Prison Work Farm.
According to Tyrrell County Sheriff Darryl Liverman, five inmates from the work farm were taken to Vidant Chowan Hospital between Tuesday and Wednesday. Additionally, Liverman said, several other inmates were treated at the prison by EMS and prison medical staff.
Liverman said TCSO is conducting an investigation into the incident for possible criminal charges.
The minimum-security facility holds a maximum of 620 prisoners. It has been in operation since 1998.
- Hurricane Jose holding steady, Maria up to Category 5 storm
- Improvements in LCPS has others wanting to know how it was done
- North Duplin Junior Senior High one of 22 schools to get garden grant
- Water discovery lab in Greenville opens doors to curious students
- Greenville man arrested after weekend stabbing, shooting