COLUMBIA, Tyrrell County - The Tyrrell County Sheriff's Office is investigating a rash of drug overdoses at that county's Prison Work Farm.
According to Tyrrell County Sheriff Darryl Liverman, five inmates from the work farm were taken to Vidant Chowan Hospital between Tuesday and Wednesday. Additionally, Liverman said, several other inmates were treated at the prison by EMS and prison medical staff.
Liverman said TCSO is conducting an investigation into the incident for possible criminal charges.
The minimum-security facility holds a maximum of 620 prisoners. It has been in operation since 1998.
- Local man facing slew of child sex offense charges in Duplin Co.
- Havelock man captures careless delivery driver on camera
- Community shop helps local families get Christmas presents on a budget
- Anchored for Life aims to help students with transition to new school
- Camp Lejeune to enforce stricter base entry procedures