COLUMBIA, Tyrrell County - Police are searching for a suspect who is wanted in connection to a Halloween night car chase.
On Tuesday, October 31, a traffic stop for an expired registration resulted in a vehicle pursuit and wreck in Tyrrell County, officials said.
The Highway Patrol stopped a vehicle on Elementary School Rd. in Columbia for the expired registration and deputies responded to the scene. The vehicle sped off while the trooper was writing a citation.
Tyrrell County deputies pursued the vehicle through Columbia and onto Cemetery Rd. until the driver made a turn onto Road St. Extension, where the vehicle wrecked going into a ditch.
Deputies were able to apprehend the driver at the scene. The passenger fled on foot and is still on the run. Deputies are currently working on finding and identifying the passenger.
Stanley L. Basnight, 29, was arrested and charged with felony fleeing to elude arrest, resisting a public officer, reckless driving to endanger, exceeding the posted speed limit and two counts of failure to stop at a stop sign.
No injuries were reported and deputies were able to seize a 2008 Infiniti.
Basnight is on Federal Parole as a result of Federal drug convictions. He was placed in the Dare County Detention Center on an $8,500 secured bond.
- USO of Jacksonville gets enough donations just in time for Thanksgiving
- Beaulaville family struggles with company about fixing heating system
- Girl Scouts say don't make your daughter hug people this holiday
- Havelock's Boys & Girls Club getting holiday makeover
- 'Be a Santa to a Senior' program brings cheer to New Bern seniors