NEW BERN, Craven County - At the Twin Rivers YMCA in New Bern, third graders are learning how to save each other from drowning.
The YMCA hosts a free swimming program for third and fourth graders in Craven, Pamlico and Jones counties. By using simple methods that young kids can learn and remember, the goal is to help save as many lives as possible.
"There's a person in the water over there and you have a pole and you say grab the polr and they grab it and you pull them in hand over hand," Luke Byers, a third grader who attends the program, said.
Bob Little, a volunteer at the YMCA program for the past eight years, encourages everyone to come out and join the cause.
"If we can get any one kid that is in water over their head to know how to save themselves, we've done our job," Little said.
- Local man facing slew of child sex offense charges in Duplin Co.
- Updated Community shop helps local families get Christmas presents on a budget
- New Camp Lejeune to enforce stricter base entry procedures
- New Onslow County Sheriff's Office seeking help on 2010 homicide cold case
- The Geminid meteor shower is upon us and might be one of the best ever