MANTEO, Dare County - The North Carolina Highway Patrol is investigating after a small plane crashed at the Dare County Regional Airport on Wednesday morning.
The crash was reported at 10 a.m. In a press release from Dare County, the plane had two people on board. They reported experiencing issues that led to the emergency landing. Officials said it landed hard and slid into the grass off the right side of the runway.
The pilot and passenger were transported to the Outer Banks Hospital for evaluation. The North Carolina Highway Patrol said in a statement that a 23-year-old student pilot, Balpreet S. Chahal of Leesburg, Virginia, suffered minor injuries. The statement says 32-year-old instructor pilot Jenny Hawk of Manns Harbor wasn't hurt.
Officials responded quickly due to leaking fuel from the plane. The Dare County Sheriff's Office, Roanoke Island Fire Department and the N.C. Highway Patrol responded. The crash is being investigated by the Federal Aviation Administration.
- Rare stem cell procedure performed to help local dog with kidney disease
- New Bern Board of Aldermen release new master parking plan
- Restaurants open on Thanksgiving
- Two Onslow County organizations partner to provide Thanksgiving meals
- Gingerbread houses for contest on display in downtown New Bern shops