NEW BERN, Craven County - With snow in the forecast, many people are looking forward to enjoying the rare winter weather. However, as the temperature dips, the chance of having an accident skyrockets.
"Above all else, if you don't need to go out, make sure you stay off the roadways", said officer Nicholas Rhodes of New Bern Police Department.
if you must be out on the roads once the weather takes a turn for the worse, take some extra precautions. Pay special attention to bridges as they could start to accumulate ice as soon as it gets below 30 degrees. Also, don't just go by the posted speed limit signs. Slow down to whatever speed allows you to drive safely. Finally, Don't slam on the break.
'' I think its human nature to apply brakes when you see a hazard in front of you, but obviously with icy weather and click roadways we would advise you to let your foot off the gas, slowly start to decrease speed, maybe pump the breaks," Rhodes said.
- Updated Insurers' pullback has put Obamacare at risk, no matter what Congress does
- Updated Visually impaired students battle in robotics competition
- Updated Khalid Masood: from sporty teenager to murderous extremist
- AARP to Trump voters: This isn't the change you expected
- Missing Brady jerseys returned to Patriots