WINTERVILLE, Pitt County - A group of 8- and 9-year-old girls from Pitt County will be participating in their age group's World Series in Florida later this month.
The team qualified for the World Series in Jensen Beach/Stuart, Fla. on July 28-Aug. 5 after winning the state title in Chocowinity and the Southeast Regional title in Virginia last weekend.
"It's kinda big for us to be the only ones in Pitt County representing us so we're gonna try to play hard," said Emerson Grace Hatcher, a catcher on the team.
These 8- and 9-year-old girls have been playing softball since they were 4- and 5-year-olds. They've played in a lot of tournaments and won many of them. They have been practicing three day a week for about an hour each time.
"Many of the girls have aspirations of playing in college and if they continue on with the work ethic they've displayed leading up to this tournament in Virginia, there's no limit as to how far these girls could go," said Shilah Hatcher, a team mom. "You could see them on your TV in the Women's College Series one day."
The team has started a GoFundMe.com page to help with expenses for the All-Star trip. You can also click here to keep up with the team's progress once the tournament begins.
- USO of Jacksonville gets enough donations just in time for Thanksgiving
- Updated Beulaville family struggles with company about fixing heating system
- Girl Scouts say don't make your daughter hug people this holiday
- Havelock's Boys & Girls Club getting holiday makeover
- 'Be a Santa to a Senior' program brings cheer to New Bern seniors