AYDEN, Pitt County - Officials are investigating a deputy-involved shooting that happened during a break-in Tuesday morning.
Lt. Kip Gaskins with the Pitt County Sheriff's Office said deputies responded to a call at the 300 block of Abbott Farm Road about a break-in in progress about 7:30 am. When deputies arrived, they encountered three suspects. Two were taken into custody. One was shot and transported to Vidant Medical Center in Greenville in unknown condition.
Crime scene tape surrounds the house as of 9 a.m., and more than a dozen police vehicles were on site. The home sits near the intersection of Jolly Road.
Tuesday evening, officials announced Depredion Melton and Scott Tyson Ellis had been arrested. Melton, 17, of 3404 Steps Dr. in Fountain, and Ellis, 16, of 3537 Troll Ln. in Farmville are each charged with felony breaking or entering, felony conspire to break or enter, felony larceny after breaking and/or entering and conspire to commit felony larceny. Bond for Melton is $250,000 while bond for Ellis is $500,000 because of an outstanding statutory rape charge on May 11 involving a 12-year-old girl.
- USO of Jacksonville gets enough donations just in time for Thanksgiving
- Beaulaville family struggles with company about fixing heating system
- Girl Scouts say don't make your daughter hug people this holiday
- Havelock's Boys & Girls Club getting holiday makeover
- 'Be a Santa to a Senior' program brings cheer to New Bern seniors