GREENVILLE, Pitt County - Funeral services for Joseph Chen, the Greenville driver of an 18-wheeler that plunged into the Chesapeake Bay, were held Friday.
Services were at Progressive Free Will Baptist Church, 1503 Hooker Road in Greenville. After the funeral service, participants were going to relocate to the grave site to begin the burial services. After burial, the repast was scheduled to take place at Elm Grove Free Will Baptist Church, 677 TB-Garris Lane in Ayden.
Officials said the accident was due to driver error. Chen, 47, was seen weaving through traffic before driving off the bridge. Even though Chen was seen alive and standing on the floating truck's roof, he was found in the water and unresponsive by the time a U.S. Navy helicopter reached him.
Chen died on the way to a hospital in Norfolk, said Thomas Anderson, deputy director of the Virginia-based Chesapeake Bay Bridge and Tunnel District.
- Son kills father, himself in murder-suicide in Morehead City
- One dead, two injured after early-morning shooting in New Bern
- Coast Guard calls off search for missing Hyde County boaters off Georgia
- Dudley man shot, killed early Saturday; Goldsboro Police investigating
- Travelers out in bunches for Memorial Day weekend