GREENVILLE, Pitt County - Funeral services for Joseph Chen, the Greenville driver of an 18-wheeler that plunged into the Chesapeake Bay, were held Friday.
Services were at Progressive Free Will Baptist Church, 1503 Hooker Road in Greenville. After the funeral service, participants were going to relocate to the grave site to begin the burial services. After burial, the repast was scheduled to take place at Elm Grove Free Will Baptist Church, 677 TB-Garris Lane in Ayden.
Officials said the accident was due to driver error. Chen, 47, was seen weaving through traffic before driving off the bridge. Even though Chen was seen alive and standing on the floating truck's roof, he was found in the water and unresponsive by the time a U.S. Navy helicopter reached him.
Chen died on the way to a hospital in Norfolk, said Thomas Anderson, deputy director of the Virginia-based Chesapeake Bay Bridge and Tunnel District.
- Updated Pentagon sends ISIS options to White House
- Updated South Korea's THAAD missile defense system gets land swap approval
- Updated Warren Buffett: Red-hot market not in a bubble, still looks 'cheap'
- Updated Transgender boy wins girls' wrestling championship in Texas
- Updated Academy Awards kills off wrong person