GREENVILLE, Pitt County - Greenville Council Member At-Large Calvin Mercer announced that he intends to file for the mayor's seat, which will be open due to the planned resignation of Mayor Allen Thomas.
"Like any organization in leadership transition, we want to ensure we continue the good things that are happening in the city and position ourselves to stride forward," said Mercer, in a statement.
In his statement, Mercer said that since joining the Council in 2007, he has pushed for transparency and encouraged new development projects that are helping make Greenville a commercial, cultural and tourist center of eastern North Carolina.
NewsChannel 12 asked Mercer if he intends to be considered to fill the mayor's seat until November. Mercer had no comment, saying only that the question of filling the seat is a separate question that the Council will need to consider.
- Firefighters respond to house fire in New Bern
- Local man facing slew of child sex offense charges in Duplin Co.
- 30 inmates at Tyrrell Prison Work Farm charged with drug offenses since May
- The Geminid meteor shower is upon us and might be one of the best ever
- Tips to keep in mind to keep children warm from cold temps