GREENVILLE, Pitt County - Greenville Council Member At-Large Calvin Mercer announced that he intends to file for the mayor's seat, which will be open due to the planned resignation of Mayor Allen Thomas.
"Like any organization in leadership transition, we want to ensure we continue the good things that are happening in the city and position ourselves to stride forward," said Mercer, in a statement.
In his statement, Mercer said that since joining the Council in 2007, he has pushed for transparency and encouraged new development projects that are helping make Greenville a commercial, cultural and tourist center of eastern North Carolina.
NewsChannel 12 asked Mercer if he intends to be considered to fill the mayor's seat until November. Mercer had no comment, saying only that the question of filling the seat is a separate question that the Council will need to consider.
- Student charged after taking gun onto Craven Community College campus
- Jacksonville Police investigating death at Stevenson Toyota
- Detectives investigating fatal shooting in Greene County
- Pasquotank Correctional Institution still on lockdown
- Tyrrell County inmate's arrest makes 25 arrested on drug charges