JACKSONVILLE, Onslow County - The prime suspect in a 2015 murder in Onslow County has been arrested in Texas, Onslow County Sheriff Hans Miller told NewsChannel 12.
Travares Waters, 39, is wanted for the March 17, 2015 killing of Tony Lewis Jr. He is in the custody of the U.S. Marshals Service in Texas and is awaiting extradition back to Onslow County.
The killing of Lewis, according to deputies, was carried out by a man they believe was Waters, who rode up on a moped alongside Lewis' parked car at a Shell gas station on Gum Branch Road and shot him at close range. Lewis had four young children.
Waters was arrested Wednesday morning at 8:45 Central Time in San Antonio by the Lone Star Fugitive Task Force. He was pulled over for a traffic stop and arrested on marijuana charges. Waters attempted to avoid capture by using a fake name - "Terry Smith."
Waters made his first appearance in court shortly after noon Central Time.
- Kinston man arrested and charged with six counts of attempted murder
- BSH Home Appliances expands recall of dishwashers due to fire hazard
- Four inmates charged with murder in Pasquotank failed prison escape
- Body of missing former Jacksonville PD officer found, woman arrested
- Multiple agencies working large crime scene in Craven County