SURF CITY, Onslow County - A.D. “Zander” Guy announced his resignation effective immediately as mayor of Surf City on Friday morning.
Guy, who has been mayor since 1999, will be sworn into office as chair of the N.C. ABC Commission on March 8. Guy has served nearly 40 years of elected and appointed public service in the state, according to a press release from the Town of Surf City.
In a statement by Guy during Friday’s special meeting, he said the decision was “bittersweet.” He thanked members of the Surf City council, family and employees of the town.
“It is a great honor for me to continue to serve the citizens and businesses of our great state,” Guy said in the press release.
Doug Medlin, the town’s mayor pro-tem, was voted to finish out Guy’s term, which runs until November 2019. Councilman William “Buddy” Fowler was named mayor pro-tem.
- Updated Fatal crash involving multiple cars being investigated by police
- Updated Silver Alert issued for missing local man
- Local candidate might win election by a single vote
- Arrest made after larceny at Tyrrell County rest stop
- Law enforcement making sure people are buckled up during holiday travel