JACKSONVILLE, Onslow County - A man who had a big impact in Jacksonville is being remembered.
Johnny Stevenson, owner of the Stevenson Automotive Group, died suddenly on Monday. He was known for his love of cars but also had a soft spot in his heart for animals.
"It's not so much a special moment, it's just a warm fuzzy that you get when he walks into the door and it's time to pick up his dog," said Diana Comer, kennel manager for Animal House. "He's very involved in the rescues or with any type of organizations that involve animals."
Generous in life and now generous in death. The Stevenson Family is asking for people to donate to several chosen organizations instead of sending flowers. One of those organizations is Onslow County Animals Services.
"Mr. Stevenson has been a great supporter of Onslow County Animal Services throughout the years," said Jennifer Monteforte, community outreach coordinator for OCAS. "They've done so much for us through food drives and adoption events at their Stevenson Toyota location. It's one of our favorite events throughout the year. And because of the Stevenson family, hundreds of our animals have found a home."
Stevenson's visitation was Thursday night. His funeral is Friday at 1 p.m. at Trinity United Methodist Church.
- Sneads Ferry residents answer call to help for Christmas
- Updated Greenville, J.H. Rose legend honored for attending record number of basketball games
- Members of ECU basketball team visit Vidant children's hospital
- Local father charged with death of 9-month old daughter
- Seven more arrested in connection to 2016 Kinston murder investigation