JACKSONVILLE, Onslow County - While the investigation has not yet been closed, Onslow County Sheriff Hans Miller said it appears likely that the deaths of an elderly couple found in their Jacksonville home Sunday are the result of a murder-suicide.
The female victim, identified as 84-year-old Naoko Kaup, had severe medical issues including dementia, Miller said. Her husband, 74-year-old Milton Kaup, is believed to have wanted to relieve the pain and suffering of his wife before taking his own life.
Miller said the event appears to have been planned out and was not a spur-of-the-moment decision. Both husband and wife appear to have died as a result of gunshot wounds.
A neighbor called a family member to check on the couple, who found their bodies and called 911. Miller said the department is waiting for the autopsy results on both Kaups before officially declaring the case a murder-suicide.
- Beary Merry Christmas kicks off the holiday season in New Bern
- New Bern Fire-Rescue hosting first 'Fill a Fire Truck'
- Shoppers busy as Black Friday now in full effect
- USO of Onslow County keeps tradition going with Thanksgiving meal
- Fairfield Harbour continues tradition of feeding Marines at Camp Lejeune