JACKSONVILLE, Onslow County - The Onslow County man who was found guilty of hitting and killing a woman then leaving the scene was sentenced Tuesday.
NewsChannel 12's Jessica Albert reports Joseph Shelton was sentenced to 90-130 months in prison for the death of Ronda Anderson, 53, in 2015. Shelton also had substance abuse treatment recommended for him.
The hit-and-run incident happened on Old Folk Stone Road near Winery Road in Onslow County. Shelton was found guilty in a courtroom by a jury on Monday after about three hours of deliberation. Guilty verdicts were handed down for involuntary manslaughter, felony death by motor vehicle, improper brakes, driving while license revoked, misdemeanor death by motor vehicle and hit and run causing serious injury or death.
State troopers said Anderson was checking her mailbox at the time.
According to information that came out during court, Shelton was on prescription medication at the time of the accident. He was also driving on a suspended license.
- USO of Jacksonville gets enough donations just in time for Thanksgiving
- Beaulaville family struggles with company about fixing heating system
- Girl Scouts say don't make your daughter hug people this holiday
- Havelock's Boys & Girls Club getting holiday makeover
- 'Be a Santa to a Senior' program brings cheer to New Bern seniors