JACKSONVILLE, Onslow County - Drivers in the Jacksonville area will need to avoid the intersection of Old NC 30 and Piney Green Road this weekend, as it will be closed for paving.
The work begins Saturday and will continue through the weekend. It was originally slated for last weekend, but had to be pushed back because of rain.
City of Jacksonville Transportation Director Anthony Prinz said the work is part of a widening project that started about four years ago and has proven to be a challenge for workers and drivers alike.
Nearby business owner Robert Williams said the frustrations have grown of late.
"The construction wasn't too bad (at first), but you could notice a lot of traffic, so we would have to go around ... take different routes," he said. "Lately it's been a little bit of an annoyance, I'll be honest."
Piney Green is in the process of being expanded from a two-lane road to a four-lane thoroughfare with a divider in between. Prinz said the city is hopeful work will be completed no later than early fall if weather cooperates.
- USO of Jacksonville gets enough donations just in time for Thanksgiving
- Girl Scouts say don't make your daughter hug people this holiday
- Havelock's Boys & Girls Club getting holiday makeover
- 'Be a Santa to a Senior' program brings cheer to New Bern seniors
- New Bern Board of Aldermen release new master parking plan