CAMP LEJEUNE, Onslow County - The body of a still unidentified woman found near the front gate of Camp Lejeune the morning of Thursday, July 13, likely did not wind up there as a result of foul play.
While Naval Criminal Investigative Service investigators would not comment on the case due to its ongoing nature, officials close to the case tell NewsChannel 12 there is no indication of foul play.
The body was found on a bike path near the main gate and was classified as an unattended death. Even though the body was found in front of the gate, it was still technically base property, so NCIS took the lead in the investigation.
Camp Lejeune Public Affairs Officer Nat Fahy told the Jacksonville Daily News the woman was not a Camp Lejeune service member nor the spouse of someone serving on base.
- Updated Student charged after taking gun onto Craven Community College campus
- Jacksonville Police investigating death at Stevenson Toyota
- Updated Detectives investigating fatal shooting in Greene County
- New Tyrrell County inmate's arrest makes 25 arrested on drug charges
- Kinston Police investigating weekend shooting