CAMP LEJEUNE, Onslow County - Col. Daniel Wilson was found guilty on Saturday of sexual abuse of a child. Wilson was also found guilty of conduct unbecoming an officer and a gentlemen and absence without leave. Wilson was found not guilty of all other charges against him according to the verdict.
The court martial of Col. Daniel Wilson kicked off Tuesday with jury selection and moved into its first full phase Wednesday morning with opening statements and testimony.
In the courtroom on Wednesday, the father of the 6-year-old victim took the witness stand. He said the allegations of sexual assault shocked him and that he looked up to Wilson as a father figure and mentor. According to the father's testimony, his family was frequently at gatherings with Wilson and his wife. It was during some of these times, the prosecution said, that Wilson sexually assaulted one of the daughters.
Wilson denied any of the incidents took place, saying "There's no way. I would die for these girls. Nothing like that would ever happen with me, you know that."
Wilson will be sentenced on Sunday, September 10th.
- Local man facing slew of child sex offense charges in Duplin Co.
- Updated Community shop helps local families get Christmas presents on a budget
- Firefighters respond to house fire in New Bern
- New Onslow County Sheriff's Office seeking help on 2010 homicide cold case
- The Geminid meteor shower is upon us and might be one of the best ever