CAMP LEJEUNE, Onslow County - A body of an unidentified female was found near the main gate of Camp Lejeune Thursday morning, Public Affairs Director Nat Fahy confirms to NewsChannel 12.
The body was found on a bike path near the main gate, NewsChannel 12's Merrilee Moore reports. It is being classified as an unattended death.
Fahy said the body was discovered at approximately 6 a.m. The Naval Criminal Investigative Service is heading the investigation and has cordoned off the area around the contractor vetting office.
Fahy said there is "no known threat to the public," following the discovery of the body.
- Updated Hurricane Jose holding steady, Maria up to Category 5 storm
- Improvements in LCPS has others wanting to know how it was done
- North Duplin Junior Senior High one of 22 schools to get garden grant
- Water discovery lab in Greenville opens doors to curious students
- Greenville man arrested after weekend stabbing, shooting