CAMP LEJEUNE, Onslow County - A body of an unidentified female was found near the main gate of Camp Lejeune Thursday morning, Public Affairs Director Nat Fahy confirms to NewsChannel 12.
The body was found on a bike path near the main gate, NewsChannel 12's Merrilee Moore reports. It is being classified as an unattended death.
Fahy said the body was discovered at approximately 6 a.m. The Naval Criminal Investigative Service is heading the investigation and has cordoned off the area around the contractor vetting office.
Fahy said there is "no known threat to the public," following the discovery of the body.
- Local man facing slew of child sex offense charges in Duplin Co.
- Havelock man captures careless delivery driver on camera
- Community shop helps local families get Christmas presents on a budget
- Anchored for Life aims to help students with transition to new school
- Camp Lejeune to enforce stricter base entry procedures