JACKSONVILLE, Onslow County - A body was discovered in fire debris early Friday morning in Jacksonville.
The Jacksonville Public Safety department responded to a report of a fire at 3 Dickens Street at about 2 a.m.
“Firefighters responding found a storage trailer behind the residence fully engulfed in flames. The fire was swiftly contained and extinguished” said JFES Division Chief Shaun Hayes.
Public Safety personnel discovered the unidentified body in the fire ruins. Officials later said the man was homeless and was seeking shelter inside the trailer. Investigators with Jacksonville Police, Jacksonville Fire and Emergency Services and The North Carolina State Bureau of Investigation are working together on this open and active death investigation.
“At this time, based on the preliminary investigation, foul play is not suspected.” said JPD Sergeant Mark Ketchum.
The investigation continues.
- Son kills father, himself in murder-suicide in Morehead City
- One dead, two injured after early-morning shooting in New Bern
- Coast Guard calls off search for missing Hyde County boaters off Georgia
- Dudley man shot, killed early Saturday; Goldsboro Police investigating
- Travelers out in bunches for Memorial Day weekend