JACKSONVILLE, Onslow County - A body was discovered in fire debris early Friday morning in Jacksonville.
The Jacksonville Public Safety department responded to a report of a fire at 3 Dickens Street at about 2 a.m.
“Firefighters responding found a storage trailer behind the residence fully engulfed in flames. The fire was swiftly contained and extinguished” said JFES Division Chief Shaun Hayes.
Public Safety personnel discovered the unidentified body in the fire ruins. Officials later said the man was homeless and was seeking shelter inside the trailer. Investigators with Jacksonville Police, Jacksonville Fire and Emergency Services and The North Carolina State Bureau of Investigation are working together on this open and active death investigation.
“At this time, based on the preliminary investigation, foul play is not suspected.” said JPD Sergeant Mark Ketchum.
The investigation continues.
- Updated Pentagon sends ISIS options to White House
- Updated South Korea's THAAD missile defense system gets land swap approval
- Updated Warren Buffett: Red-hot market not in a bubble, still looks 'cheap'
- Updated Transgender boy wins girls' wrestling championship in Texas
- Updated Academy Awards kills off wrong person