JACKSONVILLE, Onslow County - A body was discovered in fire debris early Friday morning in Jacksonville.
The Jacksonville Public Safety department responded to a report of a fire at 3 Dickens Street at about 2 a.m.
“Firefighters responding found a storage trailer behind the residence fully engulfed in flames. The fire was swiftly contained and extinguished” said JFES Division Chief Shaun Hayes.
Public Safety personnel discovered the unidentified body in the fire ruins. Officials later said the man was homeless and was seeking shelter inside the trailer. Investigators with Jacksonville Police, Jacksonville Fire and Emergency Services and The North Carolina State Bureau of Investigation are working together on this open and active death investigation.
“At this time, based on the preliminary investigation, foul play is not suspected.” said JPD Sergeant Mark Ketchum.
The investigation continues.
- Updated Flint water crisis likely the cause of deadly Legionnaires outbreak
- Updated Paul Ryan: I don't want to work with Democrats on health care
- Updated Oxford University to display more portraits of women in bid for diversity
- Updated Putin slams US election meddling claims as 'lies'
- How the Red Sox stadium upgrade revamped Boston neighborhood